Signs That it Might be Time for Hospice
Consider these common signs:
- Increased hospitalizations or ER visits
- Progressive weight loss
- Change in comprehension (confusion, disorientation)
- More needed assistance with activities of daily living, e.g. personal care
- Increased incontinence, edema (swelling), weakness and/or shortness of breath
- Falls causing injury
- Withdrawal from family and friends
- Decrease in appetite
- Taking nine or more daily medications
- Increased number of infections or wounds
If you have noticed one or more of the above signs within the past year, it’s time for hospice. Make a referral for a complimentary hospice consultation or consider talking to your doctor about hospice care. Anyone can make a referral, including patients or their loved ones.
How to Start Hospice Care
You can request a hospice referral from your loved one’s primary doctor, but a doctor’s referral is not required. Anyone, including a family member, may make a hospice referral by calling St. Croix Hospice 24/7 at 855-278-2764.
We’ll meet with you in person or by phone to help you determine if it’s time for a hospice assessment.
Our RN Case Manager will meet with you and your loved one for a virtual or in-person assessment. They’ll gather information such as recent health declines and concerning symptoms. And share information with you about the benefits of hospice.
A St. Croix Hospice physician will review the assessment for a formal admission as a St. Croix Hospice patient.